Thursday, January 10, 2013

Two Commissions at the Same Time!

I hope everyone's 2013 is off to a great start! This year is showing some promise, and I have the first ever two commissions due about the same time.

One commission is from the Wesleyan Middle School Band in Norcross, GA under the direction of Dr. Ruthie Colegrove. Ironically, across the street where I spent 5 years working as a web designer. The piece will premiere on May 9th.

Another commission is from a high school/college friend, Helen Saile, who premiered many of my clarinet "pieces" when I was in studying composition at UGA. She will be performing with the fabulous organist Brad Hughley on an incredible organ at St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church in Atlanta, GA. I'm

getting a lesson on that organ next week, and I am excited to hear what it can do. This piece will premiere on May 19th.

Now, how to juggle two very different things at once? That is a new challenge. I typically do one thing at a time, but it looks like I will need to find balance. So here it goes I suppose.

There's some more possibilities lined up for the year, but won't get confirmation until Feb/March on those. I'll be sure to keep you posted!

No comments: